13 Steps to Landing a Job
Thirteen may seem an unlucky number to getting a job, but once you figure out what you really want to do, this is the plan you need to get the job you want.
1. Decide on a position that matches your skills, personality and goals
2. Get to know your industry choice–find out who the players are and how they are doing
3. Speak to recruiters that work in that space and see if they can assist you. If not go to step 4
4. Network your $#@% off and use that smartphone
5. Identify the managers in the firms which you want to work
6. Contact targeted managers via phone first. Try calling a few times but leave only one message
7. If the phone does not produce results, use LinkedIn In-mail to send a resume & cover letter.
8. THE INTERVIEW. You finally landed one and you may not get many, so be prepared and don’t be late!
9. The Interview Follow-up: Send a thank-you email
10. If no response, do a second contact phone/email. If still no response, start with step 4 again
11. Follow-up interviews
12. Negotiate offer
13. Accept offer